Wallace's Tent on Salisbury Plain

Wallace's Tent on Salisbury Plain
Writing a letter with candle on clipboard, see Oct. 16 letter

Wednesday, January 23, 2008

January 7, 1944 Friday

Dearest Marjorie,

Well, today was on of those days. Nothing went right. First, we got a new Tac officer again -- one that looks like Boris Karloff in a bad mood and acts like an angry field manual. "Strict disciplinarian," he says. Second, repercussions from my form 5 were sudden and violent. 3 gigs for the form 5, plus 3 more for dust around the bunk. For a grand total of 6 gigs for one day! That's really travelling, even for me. It means restriction next wweek-end, not the one coming but the one after.

Wig has been relieved of his candidate duties and is over in the casual department waiting shipment, as I mentioned. My bunkmate -- Ohio State man -- is at the hospital now. 3 other N.H. men have dropped out, and another has been in the hospital too long to catch up with us.

I do hope your grippe is better by now, honey. I have been very lucky in not having even a mild cold yet.

When you get to a dictionary will you make certain of the correct pronunciation of "vehicle" and "obstacle." If I've been wrong 21 years I want to know about it.

I love you always, honey, you know,
All yours,
Wallace

No comments: