Wallace's Tent on Salisbury Plain

Wallace's Tent on Salisbury Plain
Writing a letter with candle on clipboard, see Oct. 16 letter

Saturday, January 26, 2008

January 26, 1944 Wednesday

Hello Hon,

Well, I'm a good boy this week and will not be restricted this week-end. Don't plan to celebrate tho, will just sleep a little longer Sunday and maybe see a movie here on post. I think I'll be on guard Saturday of this week, but I don't know whether I'll be a private or a what. A what, I hope. That's less work.

Tonite at the P.X. I bought a copy of the little Infantry Journal publication “Psychology for the Fighting Man.” It's a simply written book that gives the problems, and possible solutions, of the line soldier. Not technical, but solid psychology, and ten times better than Dale Carnegie stuff. Naturally, I won't read the book but it is one that I have wanted to have on hand for some time. Military psychology is a subject that more military men should study.

Gee, Honey, I feel a little tired tonite for some reason. Just comfortably so. Enough to be relaxed and not care much about what happens. Guess that isn't a good way to feel in the middle of a week, but it's more fun. I miss you more when I feel like this, and very easily lapse off into day dreams of when we can be together. Feel tonite that our best bet would be to go to the south seas some where and spend our days laying around under the palm trees. We would live off the land, of course, and just talk and love and rest all day. Ho-hum. Sing me a song of the islands--

All right, now, Tondelayo, I've got to study my military law for at least an hour, so please go 'way just for that time and I'll meet you in bed very soon. 'Bye now. I love you, my Bunny, more than all the world.

Yours always,
Wallace

No comments: