Wallace's Tent on Salisbury Plain

Wallace's Tent on Salisbury Plain
Writing a letter with candle on clipboard, see Oct. 16 letter

Friday, January 25, 2008

January 17, 1944 Monday

Dear Bunny,

Not quite so pushed today. No official duties, just myself to keep care of. Today we started studying the carbine -- a little rifle that has largely replaced the pistol, you know. Two questions are bothering me that perhaps you can look up for me. Is it carbine or carbeen? And can “position” possibly be used as a verb – to position something. These outlanders are always coming up with something new, and tho it seems wrong to me, so many people use it that it makes me wonder.

Today we had our communications class in a building made just like a landing ship for tanks, an L.S.T. They used it for experimenting on loading tanks into such ships, etc.

As far as instructional methods are concerned, we get the very best here. Of course, it's all factual material that lends itself to good teaching. They have an elaborate series of visual aids – charts, diagrams, big photos, etc. -- and a demonstration crew for each department. Also fine movies, and well presented lectures. The tests are all objective and usually pretty good. Guess one guy writes them for all departments, at least I'm getting on to the style, which is consistent. All the instructors are quite well trained. They do know how to teach the stuff they have to.

Exasperating as it is, I got 2 gigs instead of the 1 I figured on at the Saturday inspection. That puts me over the hump for next week-end. If this doesn't stop, I'll get very, very angry. But then, it wouldn't do any good. And it is less expensive to stay in week-ends.

Was pleased to see the financial department in such good shape. We'll soon be rich at this rate, especially if the income tax keeps working in reverse! I have to spend more for cleaning here than before – lot of dry-cleaning necessary every week. But that's beside the point, which is that I love you and always will.

All yours,
Wallace

No comments: