Wallace's Tent on Salisbury Plain

Wallace's Tent on Salisbury Plain
Writing a letter with candle on clipboard, see Oct. 16 letter

Wednesday, January 23, 2008

January 10, 1944 Monday

Chapters 3-4-8-9

Hello Bunny, I am using this unorthodox heading because I am writing this during our study period, which is strictly illegal. I can afford the time from study, tho, and they didn't give me any time of my own today, so I'll take some. Was table waiter you know and had 94 other things to look after, too. My bunkmate, Bryant, is in the hospital and I have to take care of our area all alone.

Now, how about you? Gee, I don't enjoy having you sick. It must be pretty miserable, so you be sure to stay in bed as long as you have to to get entirely well. Got the card you had written today, and was glad to hear from you, anyway. I'll understand if you don't write until you feel able. Just take it easy and specialize on getting well and maybe having a couple days rest after you're all better.

Are you having to call off your piano duo appearance? I suppose so. That will leave the Westmorelandians something to look forward to, tho, at some future date. And no doubt your substitute is glad of the chance to make an extra shekle or two. So everything will turn out well for everyone, yo kin plainly see.

We had a test in communications today, and started on the M1 rifle. We've had it all in basic but then we took in about one week what we covered this morning in four hours. I think we had a week of practice on rifle in Georgia before going onto the range. Here we start range work on Wednesday nd go much deeper into functioning and nomenclature of the rifle.

Here it is 8:00 o'clock already. The time I told myself I'd have to get down to studying. Guess I was right, too, but I'm certainly a slave driver with myself. Hate to stop. I love you, Bunny, and am thinking about you particularly hard until you get better.

Yours always, Bunny,
Wallace
PLEASE GET WELL SOON

No comments: