Wallace's Tent on Salisbury Plain

Wallace's Tent on Salisbury Plain
Writing a letter with candle on clipboard, see Oct. 16 letter

Thursday, January 24, 2008

January 15, 1944 Saturday evening

Dear Bunny,

Please understand that the army of the U.S. is the only responsible factor in my not writing the last couple days. We have been on the move every single minute of both days. Not the frantic kind of busy you get sometimes at school. When we are at class we get a 10 minute break every hour, and during study hours we are not phenomenally busy. But during our own time – when we may write letters if we can – then the pressure is really on. I had to get ready for an elaborate formal inspection today as well as look after my squad. Also we were late coming in from class because of range firing. Combined, these things put any time to write or even think in a complete black-out. Couldn't even get my squad duties done right in the time allowed. I love you as always, now that I have time to think about human beings. Perhaps more. Yes, certainly more. I have had to read your letters by snatches here and there. Actually. Never was in a place where I didn't have time even to read a letter all at once. Enjoyed them, tho. Am glad you're getting better. Today's letter sounded as tho you were feeling like yourself again. Don't overdo things when you go back to work, Hon.

Bill Smart is the boy who drew the tanker pictures. He's a good egg to have fun with. Looks like a tank man should – English bulldog type. Of course, it is “Smaht” to all New Englanders, and the westerners and southerners get a lot of fun asking us why we leave out “R”'s. One instructor asked his name, He said “Smaht,” so the instructor takes down “Smythe.” He's been “Smythe” or “Smat” ever since. Also he picked up 3 gigs for sleeping in class the other day. Anything else you want to know about our artist?

You referred to “jigs” the other day in a letter. Correction please in army terminology. It is gig – as in goo, the last as in kog. I am an expert in gigs of all types, and will no doubt have a lot to say about them in the future. So I want you to know the functioning and nomenclature of the M1 gig. It is a result of getting over 5 of them that I am restricted this week-end, and have a good start on getting restricted next week-end, also. Gigs are tallies that show the seriousness of any mis-step. Dusty locker = 1 gig; dropping rifle = 2 gigs; late for formation = 3 gigs, etc. 5 gigs holds a man in over the week-end. He signs in every hour Saturday night and Sunday, and usually waits on table Sunday. Not a tough restriction, tho – plenty of time to rest, which I need this week. Tom and I are in the barracks now passing a quiet evening at the radio. It's so good to let down after such a week. Now, I don't believe gigs are too serious, tho they obviously do not help a candidate's status. Work here seems to divide into 2 parts. One is class work – with lecture, practical work and written tests. As at school, only longer hours. Keeping good grades is important, and I think I can do O.K. in them, if what we've had is an example. The other part is known as Drill and Discipline – D&D we call it. It is an organized department that has charge of our barracks, chow, and conduct in addition to instruction in commands and drill and instruction of troops. They give out the gigs and grade us in leadership and face and suitability. Here is where my difficulty will come. My drill and commands and instruction are passable. At least, I feel fine giving commands and haven't been criticized much on them. But the little things they have in D&D, I hope they don't count too much. Like remembering small details, and being strict with my men, etc. They still like a blood and thunder type of commander, and I just don't go for it. You've got to be arbitrary, which is very much against everything I believe. In general, D&D gets in my hair. It is what takes up my spare time and makes you do things the G.I. way. I humor them, altho their whole program is the essence of what I don't like in the army.

Thursday, Friday, and today we fired on the range mornings. Shot for record today, just as we did at Wheeler. Had more fun, but guess I;m not as good in cold weather as in hot. Shot 175 at Wheeler, and 174 here! That qualifies me for another one of those sharpshooter medals, and adds 3 points to our gunnery exam Monday. I was all set to get an expert medal this time (180), but got off on the wrong foot in rapid fire. If my last 9 shots had been even average I would have made well over 180. I was high man in the platoon on slow fire. Got the wrong wind correction and grouped my last 9 shots on the 4 and 3 rings instead of the bull's eye. T.S., they say.

We came in from record fire at noon and frantically laid out our equipment for a full field inspection. We were ready at 2:15 which is some kind of a record, I think, considering the situation. Only got one gig on the whole inspection, which is very good, considering the average.

Now I can let down for the first time this week. Guess I'll clean up and go to bed early. I'll probably listen thru the Hit Parade – now started. It comes an hour earlier here than we are used to it.

Met a very interesting character on the range. An exaggerated Justin Gallagher from Arkansas. He's one of the best pistol shots in the world – has the record for consecutive bulls – he's a tech sergeant, very funny and a good instructor. Likes to talk about Arkansas and the marksmanship there. It is used primarily on revenuers he says. He calls the moonshine they make popskull. One drink of it pops your skull open.

Going off to bed now, Bunny. Sleep tight and take things easy. I love you all the time and just wait for the day when we can be together and do things our way.

Always yours,
Wallace

No comments: