Wallace's Tent on Salisbury Plain

Wallace's Tent on Salisbury Plain
Writing a letter with candle on clipboard, see Oct. 16 letter

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

January 4, 1944 Tuesday

Dear Honey,

Today we completed another phase of our training, as we drove three more types of vehicles. The half-track, the 2 ½ ton truck and the peep, known some places as a jeep. We drove them all quite a lot, most of all the half-track. They don't waste time on instruction, they just spend an hour or so on theory of all vehicles, then we jump into any one and take off. Went over a mud course that exercized the cars if not the drivers. The peep will go almost anywhere the big ones will go. Has a four-wheel drive.

Last night I could see my watch even when it was completely dark. I strapped it on the inside of my wrist for the night, so I could see it just opening one eye. I think of you whenever I look at it. It keeps very good time, too. I didn't even wear it out driving, since it was pretty rough going. But I took it to the lecture this afternoon.

I was rated at squad drill this afternoon, but of course I don't know what they wrote down. Our Lt. Browning has been replaced by Lt. Johnson as our “Tac” officer. He's a good man, too, as all are here. Got a 95.5 in our first exam on engines. Just a natural, as yo kin plainly see.

Gee, according to my Gruen, it's already seven o'clock and time to hop onto my rifle. Had to get some name tags tonite, so it cut down on our after-supper time. By the way, we haven't carried our rifles except in drill to date – and have been carried in trucks to all our driving areas instead of footing it. And the food is still very, very good. Lot of compensation for the grind.

I love you always,
Wallace

No comments: