Wallace's Tent on Salisbury Plain

Wallace's Tent on Salisbury Plain
Writing a letter with candle on clipboard, see Oct. 16 letter

Saturday, January 26, 2008

January 23, 1944 Sunday

Dear folks,

Got a good long letter from you-all this week. Also got letters from Marjorie and Rev. Ralph the same day. Felt very well supported by the home front.

This week has been, as usual, routine. The formula doesn't change from week to week. Same schedule. Fired submachine guns this week, and I made expert in that. That entitles me to another medal which I don't think I'll ever get.

Again this week I am restricted to our area. I find it very easy to pick up the 5 necessary gigs. The restriction isn't anything, tho, just keeps me from going to Louisville and spending money. I haven't picked up more gigs than most of the men, I just group them better – getting an even 5 each week.

I do not get as tired as I did on the bread truck. Physically this is easier than basic training was.

Had a whole bunch of exams this last week and I got O.K. in them. Everybody does well here, so it's only occasionally that my test-cracking abilities sparkle forth. Twice, tho, on a first aid exam and on a communications test, I have glimmered a little. Due more to my experience at writing tests, tho, than to knowledge. You get so you can figure out what they want. All the tests here are objective ones, usually with complicated instructions that seem aimed at confusing the student. They keep telling us that we should learn to instruct “the average man,” whom they seem to picture as an absolute idiot. Poor guy, he could never understand our test instructions.

Love to all,
Wallace

No comments: