Wallace's Tent on Salisbury Plain

Wallace's Tent on Salisbury Plain
Writing a letter with candle on clipboard, see Oct. 16 letter

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

January 5, 1944 Wednesday

Hello honey,

Time out now for my daily relaxation. What would you like to hear about tonite? It rained today here, and we drove light tanks over a precision course where we maneuvered into narrow spots and backed out, etc. Also did some on another course with half-tracks and 6 x 6 (2 ½ ton truck – which has 6 axles, all driven). Got very muddy, but in our combat suits we are dressed for the mud and none gets onto us.

Last night I read over my 1943 diary some, just to see what it looks like now. Usually I write a sort of synopsis at the end of a diary and will this year if I ever get time – which seems doubtful at present. Looking it over, 1943 seems to have been about the biggest year ever for me. Changed me a lot, too. Really changed my major and got going in Dr. Carroll's office, met you and got engaged, first got out of the north-east, became something of a soldier – against my will – and began to have some personal opinions that I believed in myself. Before, I hadn't been convinced of much of anything.

Do you keep a diary now? I can't just remember. Anyway, 1943 no doubt had some things in it you will remember. You spent a small minority of your time with me, and much more writing. You got your first school and stopped being a “pupil.” To get on the other side and be a teacher is a big accomplishment. What else did you consider “big” for you in '43? We both seemed to stop playing and get ernestly started in life, proper. Show plenty of power, too, tho not in the easiest terrain to travel in. A tanks shows its power in rough terrain, tho. And it can roll right along when it hits a smooth piece, too. Lot to admire in a tank, nothing stops them.

Bye now, I love you,
Wallace

No comments: