Wallace's Tent on Salisbury Plain

Wallace's Tent on Salisbury Plain
Writing a letter with candle on clipboard, see Oct. 16 letter

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

January 3, 1944 Monday

Dear folks,
Have a lot of things to say, but just no time to say it in. We aren't fanatically rushed, but everything is scheduled down to the last minute and I guess they don't intend us to correspond a great deal.

How are Gregory and Laura and Justin and Merellyn? Fine, I hope and I wish I could see them all.

Marjorie sent me a beeeeautiful Gruen wrist watch that is turning every one just green with envy. She also sent other packages that have led me to believe that Christmas is a year-round affair.

I spent New Year's weekend in Louisville with a bunch of N.H. men who enjoy sleeping and big meals. Ate in the very best of places they have to offer. This state is ever so much better than Georgia. They seem to like soldiers in Louisville!

Ma, I'm driving the biggest dam tanks you ever saw, and having a lot of fun at it. My old baker truck days are lived again as I expertly nose up and over some crag or splash thru a mud gully. There's no danger to them, but their power satisfies the savage in one. They will go anywhere. Two big Cadillac engines in our little 16 ton tanks, and a Ford V-8 job in the medium 32 ton affairs.

I have also mastered the theory of engines and maintenance and have started on radio communication. Have done O.K. so far, but people are leaving the place all the time so you can't plan on a thing. Very true, too. Guess Wig is leaving soon because of his bad eye!

Love to the whole family and a Happy New Year. Take care of Marjorie, she talks about you a lot, and Grammie has written a couple letters to me, even!

With love,
Wallace

No comments: