Wallace's Tent on Salisbury Plain

Wallace's Tent on Salisbury Plain
Writing a letter with candle on clipboard, see Oct. 16 letter

Saturday, January 26, 2008

January 25, 1944 Tuesday

Dear Bunny,

Nice balmy spring day today. Almost warm. Never have spent such a temperate January. In spite of the weather I have a minor sore throat. Nothing that slows me down at all, but spoils me resonant and colorful tone on commands.

I received your Friday letter today, which is very unusual. Tuesday is usually a blank day as far as letters are concerned. Very glad to see the jinx broken.

I would imagine that grades in your school would be inevitably subjective, since you have so few in each grade. But on the other hand, your well-thought out opinion would perhaps be better than an objective grade because you can know each student so well. Do you mark them relative to each other or to their own potentialities? Most everybody agrees that any type of school marks is not good in an ideal system, so I don't know as it matters how you arrive at a necessary evil. Just want to know how it works out in practice.

Glad the P--- boys left as happy little morons, anyway... I once tested a little girl who was a moron on any standard, but a very nice little girl. If people are helpful and friendly and well-meaning, they don't have to know much to get along well.

About this time I could use a lot of relaxation with you, honey. Absence does make the heart grow fonder, I find. It is hard to be eternally waiting for things to get better so we can be together. The easiest way for me is to convince myself it will be a long, long time before the war is over. Then you can lose the feeling of constantly expecting something to happen tomorrow, and maybe be happily surprised. I love you all the time, bunny.

All yours always,
Wallace

No comments: