Wallace's Tent on Salisbury Plain

Wallace's Tent on Salisbury Plain
Writing a letter with candle on clipboard, see Oct. 16 letter

Friday, January 25, 2008

January 16, 1944 Sunday

Dear folks,

Hope everything is in working order at 23 Pleasant Street, and that none of you has frozen up yet.

This last week for me was a grand rush from one duty to another. I was a table waiter, a squad leader, and a corporal of the guard in addition to my regular duties. Am beginning to wonder just how much a pair of bars is worth. That's in my busy moments. When I'm not too rushed I appreciate the efficient services and luxuriant quarters we have here and think I never had it so good. More work, better treatment. That's about the story.

This week I couldn't go anywhere if I wanted to. Collected over 5 gigs last week so I am restricted to the area. It is a very easy thing to be restricted and I expect to spend a good many week-ends in.

Ken Wiggin left today for North Carolina – the 78th Infantry Division. He hopes he gets a furlough when he gets there. So he may be up around Keene soon. He's to be a father soon, you know, and has a small hunch it will be twins. Says he'll take to the hills if it is. They would make life too complicated.

Glad to hear that Marjorie is better now. Guess she had quite a time for a spell. She seemed pleased that her pupils were so glad to have her back after she was sick.

Fired the M1 rifle for record again on Saturday and earned another sharpshooter medal. From now on we take up a lot of different weapons up to the big 75 mm tank gun.

Your loving and best son,
Wallace

No comments: