Wallace's Tent on Salisbury Plain

Wallace's Tent on Salisbury Plain
Writing a letter with candle on clipboard, see Oct. 16 letter

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

January 3, 1944 Monday

Dearest Marjorie,

It came today! Darling, it's perfect. There's nothing I need more than a watch here. When we have candidate offices, particularly, and I very much need something to wear for you – same thing, maybe, as your diamond is to you. I know it will mean as much to me when I wear it. It's the first real good watch I've ever had and I will keep the very best care I can of it. The sweep second hand is just what I can use when I'm giving S-Benet's again. One is essential to correct timing, and timing is extremely important.

Got a whole bunch of letters, Laura's package you sent, and the boric acid, in addition to the Gruen. Thanks again for everything. I know I'm redundant, but I know you're the best girl anywhere and I love you. The men are tired of having me show off my watch already. The case is a treat all by itself.

I hardly had time to do more than look at it this noon, and didn't put it on and wind it until tonite. We were busy cleaning up from our tank driving.

And did we have fun driving today. We drove all morning over a tank course about a mile long – all full of mud holes and gullies, etc. A passenger car couldn't move in any part of it, but it was child's play for the tanks. I took both the medium and light over it with great success. You shift the big one, but all you have to do is press the accelerator and go in the light. You steer it by two sticks that break each track alone when you want to turn. Sort of spin the thing around. I got an “excellent” rating driving both types. Got a big thrill, and my face all splattered with mud. We wear flashy crash helmets (no danger of a crash, however – it stops bumps on tank sides). This has got the infantry beat for fun.

We started on communication this afternoon. Going to become a radio expert in the next couple days!

Got to stop now. Want to thank you again for the watch. You're very wonderful.

Yours always,
Wallace

No comments: