Wallace's Tent on Salisbury Plain

Wallace's Tent on Salisbury Plain
Writing a letter with candle on clipboard, see Oct. 16 letter

Wednesday, January 23, 2008

January 6, 1944 Thursday

Dear Honey,

Have just a very few minutes tonite, hon; had a whole lot of laundry to roll, rifle to clean, boots to wash, shoes to shine and still have to clean my combat suit before 7:30. Have time tho to let you know that I still exist, and am thinking of you.

Today I became acquainted with the O.C.S. "suicide system," which consists of filling out forms on yourself when you do something wrong. Seems that when we fell out for class this noon I was among the first to fall out. But, to my ghastly surprize, I found that I didn't have my necktie on. I knew full well I was licked right then, but I made a supreme effort and ran back in, put on a tie and fell back out. Things didn't break my way, so I was late by about 30 seconds for the formation. Nothing left to do but make out a "form 5" on myself for such an obvious misdemeanor. It only counts one gig tho; but it hurts to have to report yourself.

So you make a public performance next week. I know you'll knock 'em off their feet. Do good, Bun.

I have been contemplating a portrait of a tank man in combat suit for some time, but haven't felt that I could do justice to such a big theme. Confidence bolstered by the request of my public (in mass), I shall start considering it right away. Time permitting, it will appear in the next issue.

I love you, Honey,
Wallace

No comments: