Wallace's Tent on Salisbury Plain

Wallace's Tent on Salisbury Plain
Writing a letter with candle on clipboard, see Oct. 16 letter

Sunday, March 9, 2008

March 9, 1944 Thursday

Dearest Honey,

Here’s a note to let you know I love you more than anything and am thinking of you all the time. We are on the go from 5:15 am to 10:00 pm out here. All the time. But it is physical work without much pressure on us. I get just comfortably tired and eat a lot and sleep hard. Good change. We have more tanks than we can use and more ammunition than we can fire. We are getting much of the practical work of using tanks and caring for them in the field. We need it very much, even if we do gripe at cleaning weapons until nearly seven, and putting around the motor park. Then at 7:30 we start having classes until 10:00, on fire technique, ammunition, etc.

Your letters are coming here very well. About a day late, I guess, but they are well worth waiting for.

Bye now, dear, I’ll really write to you just as soon as I can. Meantime, I love you very, very much. Every night I think how lucky I am to have such a perfect “prospective wife.” I love you like the dickens.

All yours,
Wallace

No comments: