Wallace's Tent on Salisbury Plain

Wallace's Tent on Salisbury Plain
Writing a letter with candle on clipboard, see Oct. 16 letter

Thursday, March 20, 2008

March 20, 1944 Monday

Hello, Hon,

Am taking a few minutes out to write to you tonite regardless of the fact that we got in late and haven’t too much time to study for our big awful-awful in map reading tomorrow.

Had loads of fun this p.m. on a field maneuver in reconnaissance. Piled into some scouting half tracks and followed a map all over the country. We went rapidly over some absolutely impassable muddy old roads. Didn’t stop to see that we couldn’t make it, so we got thru with a lot of flying mud and roaring motors. Beautiful way to express your savage instinct, or something. We had one peep along and it went across a couple of streams that I swear you could float a battleship in –almost.

Am on my way to some more exacting phases of map reading tonight. Just thought I’d let you in on the fact that I love you a great deal before I settled down to the grind.

‘Bye now, card shark,
I love you,
Wallace

No comments: