Wallace's Tent on Salisbury Plain

Wallace's Tent on Salisbury Plain
Writing a letter with candle on clipboard, see Oct. 16 letter

Sunday, March 16, 2008

March 16, 1944 Thursday

Dearest Honey,

Altho I appreciate the good condition of the tires on the truck picture you sent, I didn’t think the picture as a whole was nearly as nice as the ones of you. But I can understand—I send pictures of my vehicles to you, so naturally you want to return pictures of your vehicles. I think it is a very nice truck and a fine photo subject. Clear, no flaws, centered. Maybe it lacks human interest a little, but who care about that?

Somebody is doing a little wishful thinking, I guess. At least, this enclosed price list [of military apparel and accessories] came to me from a Louisville firm today. We all got them, and our reactions were mixed. It would be more appropriate a couple of weeks from now, maybe. If and when we graduate, there is a $250 uniform allowance for such things. It is none too much, I hear.

Tomorrow we have our first of two map reading exams. 2-hour jobs. Very crucial. They always have us sweating out something, and right now, that’s it. So cross your fingers again, Hon. It gets to be a daily process, but it seems to be working so far.

I love you always, don’t forget. As a map-reader, I should say “keep well oriented on that point.”

Yours forever,

No comments: