Wallace's Tent on Salisbury Plain

Wallace's Tent on Salisbury Plain
Writing a letter with candle on clipboard, see Oct. 16 letter

Saturday, March 29, 2008

March 29, 1944 Wednesday

Dear Bunny,

My name certainly should be called “Manual” tonite. The company supply room loosened up and started giving out manuals to the 61st class to keep. About this time we are supposed to be buying a field manual library, anyway, so we all grabbed as many as we could. Have too many to measure in numbers. Got about 10 lbs. or more of my own tonite. In my possession I have about 7 lbs. of gunnery manuals, 10 of G.T. and 20 of tactics. All told, I can barely turn over in bed with finding a field manual in the way. All will be turned in except those I got tonite. But the school realizes that we couldn’t possibly remember all we study here, so they expect us to buy most of the important manuals for future study. I will start that soon.

Tonite I finish up as first sergeant, and after this week we have no more D&D, so I’m strictly a tactician from now on.

Have to see if I can get those manuals into some kind of shape before study hall, so will get to it now.

I love you like the dickens,
All yours,
Wallace

No comments: