Wallace's Tent on Salisbury Plain

Wallace's Tent on Salisbury Plain
Writing a letter with candle on clipboard, see Oct. 16 letter

Friday, March 28, 2008

March 28, 1944 Tuesday

Dearest Marjorie,

How are you tonite? Still wading to school or tumbling on the school grounds? I liked your adventure of one stocking off, one stocking on! Very exciting!

Today we spent part of our noon hour watching the presentation of the Silver Star to some hero by a couple of generals. The hero was a Lt. Col., so I had to wonder how many undecorated privates were with him during his great deed. That is completely malicious, tho. I did notice that the hero was more bald than I am, even!

Invested in a G.I.’s Emily Post tonite—“The Officer’s Guide.” Which tells just when to wear poplins and chinos, etc. The more I buy of uniform, the more I see that I must be a field officer of the future. At least, I’d be a flop as a peace time officer.

There is some talk of an imminent invasion of Louisville this weekend, and I may become a member of the outfit. I haven’t been in in a dog’s age, and perhaps the change will make a new man of me. At least it will be fun.

Do you know whom you will vote for for President this year? I don’t. In fact I don’t know as I can vote without being registered. Will you ask my father just what the score is along that line, and see what I have to do? I would like to exercise my franchise just a little. I cannot see any of the Republican prospects, except Wilkie. Wallace sort of appeals to me, and Roosevelt has been going down in my book for some time. Can’t see what his foreign policy is, and I think that is the most important thing in the next election.

I beg your pardon. [switches from pen to pencil]

Some kind soul sends a copy of the Christian Science Monitor to our class every day. It gets here about four days late, but as first sergeant, I am the recipient these days. I enjoy the articles a lot and have stopped reading the local papers that come on time. If I did read them, it would be like peeking ahead in a continued story.

Things look like hell in Italy these days. No wonder, I guess. The equipment of the Germans is still about the best there is. Most of our new weapons are copies of weapons the Germans have had for 4 years. I guess we have a new wrinkle or two now, but we are just coming around to Germany’s spaced armor, bogey wheels, submachine guns, bounding mines, field glasses and lots of other things. They still use better anti-tank guns than we do.

I love you even more than usual tonite. In fact I doubt very much that, even with a knowledge of my alleged weak spot, you could come close to it. You would probably be too concerned in keeping your hair in place and your ears covered!

I love you,
Wallace

No comments: