Wallace's Tent on Salisbury Plain

Wallace's Tent on Salisbury Plain
Writing a letter with candle on clipboard, see Oct. 16 letter

Thursday, March 6, 2008

March 6, 1944 Monday

My dearest Marjorie,

Cedar Creek is a story book place, very hard to describe well. It has several parts, but the place we are in used to be the site of some super-secret tests of equipment made by the army. It is a small group of green, tarpaper barracks snuggled into a deep valley completely surrounded by typical Kentucky hills – steep but even and covered with cedars. A windy dirt road brings you in. There are only a few barracks, but it was modeled for men to live here a long time in secret and it has everything – P.X. (with beer), barber shop, and small movie theatre.

We got here last night before supper and after tossing the fantastic amount of ammunition we are to fire around for a while, we had the evening off. The whole crew, including our N.C.O. instructors, but not officers, of course, went to the P.X. to drink beer. By far the largest part of us soon became very happy – but not me; I diplomatically primed the N.C.O.s to get them on my side, and find out just what the story is here at the Creek. I had to buy a good many G.I. beers before they really got loose and friendly. I now have the most inhuman instructor here – a Corporal Nelson – no relation, I trust – as a good friend and advisor, and have found some things that are good for a candidate to know. After this unorthodox apple-polishing, we went to the movies to complete the evening. Today I was on Corporal Nelson’s tank and fired with great effect.

We were up the Creek in more ways than one today for a while. It rained guns, as of course you could guess it would. We carried on this a.m. and fired a lot of rounds from both light and medium tanks. I am beginning to feel somewhere near competent in a tank turret now; I fired with Gus today, by the way. We discussed our girls between bursts over the interphone. He feels that Ruthie is getting fat but doesn’t dare to mention it to her.

This afternoon, however, we got out on a range on the other side of Cedar Creek, and the creek rose and we couldn’t get back. We sent out a target detail and they also got cut off from us by rising water. That is when we felt literally up the creek. We had to leave about 30 tanks, and assorted trucks, jeeps and halftracks out there and wade home across the creek. Finally made the indescribable comfort of barracks and lots of hot food and an evening off.

Feel very good tonite, just tired enough to feel relaxed and “mellow.” This is real army here, but with enough comfort to almost enjoy it. I love you very much tonite, and can see that I will be dreaming of you very soon. Other nights this week we have classes so I don’t know how the letters will run. I’ll do my best, Honey. Got your regular letter today. They brought it right out. I can see how you might not envy Alden and Harriet. Marriage is what they want, but you wonder if they can really have that with the war on. Is their problem solved or augmented? That’s a question I haven’t the energy to answer tonite. Obviously it isn’t completely solved, but maybe they don’t expect that. It may be the best answer possible. I rather think so.

Nite now, Bunny, I love you very much,
Yours always,
Wallace

No comments: