Wallace's Tent on Salisbury Plain

Wallace's Tent on Salisbury Plain
Writing a letter with candle on clipboard, see Oct. 16 letter

Sunday, March 30, 2008

March 30, 1944 Thursday

Dearest Honey,

Expanded my “trousseau” to the tune of $45.45 by ordering a trench-coat—a pink overcoat. That figure astounds me. Wait just a minute until I figure my financial status now. Have ordered $178.75 worth of materiel so far. Can foresee items to total $222.85. Then we have to buy quartermaster items to fill out the $250 allowance. G.I. things to wear in the field.

Tomorrow we will go out on our first real field problem in tactics. The assault gun platoon.

Your Monday letter came today, and I can only say that if the Blue Grass Room isn’t good enough for you to sleep in, I don’t know what place would be [see March 23 letter]. Comfortable seats, fine orchestra, slow service. You’ll need to sleep before you get your order.

Since I am stealing this time in study hall, I must stop short tonite, Hon. Bye now, dearest.

I love you,
Wallace

No comments: