Wallace's Tent on Salisbury Plain

Wallace's Tent on Salisbury Plain
Writing a letter with candle on clipboard, see Oct. 16 letter

Friday, March 14, 2008

March 14, 1944 Tuesday

Hello, there,

Pretty unusual for me to be writing at this time. It’s during our noon hour, but we have a few minutes to relax from the unending classes on map reading, so here goes. You would think I was a surveyor or a draftsman. We have maps and maps, and every bit of equipment you can imagine. I think that the plotting pins with colored heads are the best, but our Bo-peep colored crayons are fun, too. We have to be very, very accurate and neat. Of course, that describes my usual type of work (!!) so I am not bothered beyond losing a little hair. Couldn’t lose more than a little, I hear you saying.

The summer season started officially today. We had our first practice for a ceremonial review for the whole school. Lots of flags and color. Reminds me of the Rockettes, somehow, as we drill and drill on little points of who is where and when.

Your pictures came this noon and I thought they were very, very good. Seems good to see you. I like the dress with the two little figures on it a lot. I shall look them over at length later on.

I love you very much, dearest. Gotta run now—

Always all yours,
Wallace

No comments: