Wallace's Tent on Salisbury Plain

Wallace's Tent on Salisbury Plain
Writing a letter with candle on clipboard, see Oct. 16 letter

Monday, March 24, 2008

March 24, 1944 Friday

Dear Hon,

My friend Frankie Brown did me a favor and got me some more of this stationery! I know you appreciate it.

Met Ken Erwin over at the P.X. just now. He is all set to graduate in about two weeks. He is being very original and getting married as soon as he gets his furlough! A girl in Montpelier. His class is going to battle training right after they graduate, too. And will probably be there until the 61st comes out. So the best information now is to plan on about four weeks of work then after graduation, on April 22nd. That will give the snow time to melt in New England and make it almost exactly a year from our engagement. Speaking of snow, if you will point out the boy who threw the snowball at you, I will kick his teeth in. Maybe I have lost my proper attitude, but they can’t do that!

The little summer school UNH pamphlet brought up pleasant memories. Pretty campus, isn’t it? Also reminds me that we must decide about your summer school requirements sometime. Guess it will depend pretty much on where I am stationed. If it is where we could be together and still be solvent plus, financially, I think we should definitely do that. If it isn’t, then summer school would be best. We’ll just be ready to make quick decisions when we know what the situation is.

I can feel another long letter on marriage coming up when I get some time off, since that is what I have been thinking about most lately. Always write down directly what I think to you, Hon. I hope it is in English, and that you know a lot of it is just the way I muddle thru to some attitude that isn’t clear to me.

I can never write down the way I feel about you, either. There are a swarm of ways to say I love you, but I never seem to be able to talk about it the way I feel it. It’s a real short-coming of mine that I can’t talk to people very well, at least as far as expressing an emotion goes. It always winds up looking like a stock market report. That is why I always have to give up and ask you to understand even if I can’t say it very well, because, damn it, I do love you just as enthusiastically and whole-heartedly and romantically as anybody ever could. I think so many crazy, idealistic thoughts about you that you’d think I was an adolescent if I ever wrote them down. Maybe that’s why I don’t very much—it looks so superficial to write them down, because we use the same words superficially so often.

You’re the one I love, Marjorie, the only real one, and that will never change. Believe me, honey.

All yours,
Wallace

No comments: