Wallace's Tent on Salisbury Plain

Wallace's Tent on Salisbury Plain
Writing a letter with candle on clipboard, see Oct. 16 letter

Friday, February 29, 2008

February 29, 1944 Tuesday

Hello, my Bunny,

How is my dressmaker tonite? Your designs look very, very good to me. I like all your dresses, particularly when you are in them. Square shoulders, clean cut, neat, striking but in excellent taste. Just what I like. I remember your dresses very clearly, and usually I’m not good at remembering things like that. Never could see how you could sit down and make one, and so fast. Just out of this world, that’s all.

We are learning crew drill among other things now. What each member does in each situation in light and medium tanks. Involves hopping in and out of tanks over and over. Also taking company administration, troop training, and gunnery. All very clear except conduct of fire which has us all in a healthy fog.

It is a very good idea to plan tentatively on coming to Kentucky in the last part of April or May. If things hang together, I should get some very small amount of time off. There is graduation and a lot of red tape that might well leave some time for us. The train connection to here should be much better than to Georgia – all on big lines and in comfortable cars. Hotel accommodations should be more available, too. We can see what crystallizes. I would love to see you if only for a short time, and show you a little of the place here, or just talk to you. If I get more than a little time, we will get married, natcherly. We’ll see, we’ll see. Thinking about what will happen is always fun. You thrust out tentative ideas and conjectures and watch them turn into realities you never thought could happen. You learn something new with each thing that happens and try to use that to make the next thing come closer to what you plan. That’s the best part of it. You always have another try; and there are no limits at all on what you can plan or what can happen. It’s wonderful.

Tonite I am on guard and will have a good chance to think about the future and us. Our futures we have pretty much in common, whatever they turn out to be. Being the people we are we can’t fail to find the future very rich.

I love you, I love you,
Wallace

No comments: