Wallace's Tent on Salisbury Plain

Wallace's Tent on Salisbury Plain
Writing a letter with candle on clipboard, see Oct. 16 letter

Sunday, February 10, 2008

February 10, 1944 Thursday

Dearest Bunny,

I received two letters from you today, which is unusual. But it was because they were sent at irregular times. In a way, I was sorry to hear that you missed some school, but only because it meant that you weren’t feeling well, not because you missed the teaching.

It is the most natural thing in the world for you to feel the way you do, Hon. I wish with all my heart that the situation that causes it did not exist. But since it does exist – thru no one’s fault except the “war,” which is the most earth-shaking and powerful force ever to influence people – we can only do what seems the easiest until it is over. I am so glad you found Dr. Kendall. You need some one to confide in personally. Get all you can from his advice, and let him help you as much as he can.

No doubt he can tell you how to get over that tired feeling; how to become interested in something, and to sublimate our much-thwarted desires. I hope he can and will. Also, things will be easier if we understand each other very well. We do, I think, on almost all points. I always, always love you, Honey, without any reservations at all, and what you do or do not do has no effect on this. I know you exceedingly well, and you are everything I want. I don’t think you could change that, Honey. You’re stuck with me that’s all. All I want you to be is yourself, Bunny. You don’t need to be a bit more “wonderful” or cheerful or happy than you really are. I love you, not how you feel.

Now in order to make me completely satisfied, there are just two things to do, or rather, continue doing. One is to be completely sincere in what you say and do for me. The other is to love me. That goes two ways. With you, I always mean what I say. And I always love you. I don’t ask for anything more, Honey.

Do wish I had more time to write tonite, but I know you’ll understand how valuable time is this part of the week.

With all my love,
Wallace

No comments: