Wallace's Tent on Salisbury Plain

Wallace's Tent on Salisbury Plain
Writing a letter with candle on clipboard, see Oct. 16 letter

Monday, February 25, 2008

February 25, 1944 Friday

Hello, Honey,

My turn at table waiter is up again, and runs thru Saturday, so my hours are just that much more cramped than usual. However, it doesn’t seem the job it used to when I first came. Guess I’m getting used to it, or something.

I am very, very glad you enjoyed the Ice Follies so much. It sounded beautiful. Last year I saw the corresponding show with Quentin Theroux. It was very striking then, but your description sounded as tho it was much better this year. Am waiting expectantly to hear how the rest of your trip came out. Should be a real “break” for you – getting away from it all, you know.

Got my monthly letter for Robin Ralph today. He waxed quite enthusiastic for labor and against war proliferating by capital, and I think he is right, tho I really don’t know anything about the situation.

Our class is now studying the (you run out of ink, can’t I? [switches to pencil]) 37 mm. cannon now. It is a smaller job that goes in a little light tank. We will be on light tanks for some time now. They have 4 men crews and are crowded as the devil. You just have room to sit down, and you have no choice but to stay put once you’re in. Ah prefers the mediums. IF I get a commission it may be either in infantry or cavalry. In either case the collar insignia would be a Mark VIII tank, but in infantry I’d be with medium tanks and in cavalry light tanks. Very clear, I suppose? Anyway I love you like everything, Honey, and hope you’re fresh as a daisy when you return to school.

No comments: