Wallace's Tent on Salisbury Plain

Wallace's Tent on Salisbury Plain
Writing a letter with candle on clipboard, see Oct. 16 letter

Thursday, February 7, 2008

February 7, 1944 Monday

Good evening, Sweetheart,

Got two dandy letters tonite and enjoyed them very much. The pictures look a lot like the outfits here – the hat was what we wear, but the patch was not quite ours. Now they wear a triangular 3-color patch with the same picture as the one you sent.

I used to play contract some with Ralph Rieth and gang. Could see that it would be fun if you put a little time in it. Glad you have a chance to relax a little, Honey.

Will you see about getting my mother something for her birthday? I will enclose a dollar so that you can tell her honestly I had a hand in it. Get her something nice, she deserves it.

Am sending along something for you for Valentine’s day. It has been a few months now since I have given you one of these, so I thought I’d get back on to schedule. They didn’t have much to pick from, but all my love is inside it, so treat it well.

Yes, Honey, we definitely will be married at the very first opportunity, and will live together at the earliest possible time. All we need is a few days together to get married – when we can get them we will be. If I can get an assignment that would enable us to live together even for only a part of a year, we will do it. The thing that keeps coming to me is that maybe I’ll get assigned to classification here at Fort Knox. That would be swell; you would be very fond of Kentucky. Nice to dream about. I have no real basis for it. I love you more than I can ever say, my Bunny, and regret very much that there just is no way we can be together now.

All yours always,
Wallace

P.S. I’d encourage this correspondence with J.P. Morgan – good man to know.

No comments: