Wallace's Tent on Salisbury Plain

Wallace's Tent on Salisbury Plain
Writing a letter with candle on clipboard, see Oct. 16 letter

Thursday, February 28, 2008

February 28, 1944 Monday

Hello Dearest,

This stationery is a little more respectable than I’ve been able to get before, but I’m still looking for some that’s good. Bear with me, Hon.

Today I met a non-com over in gunnery who is going to be five years old tomorrow. Heck, I spoiled it – should say he’s going to have his fifth birthday tomorrow. My mother’s folks must have been English, after all.

Alden must have a technique all his own. Don’t see how he gets so much time off. Where does he go next?

We must be a striking pair if my conception of your dual photo frame is right. Where do you keep it?

This is our 10th week of training now under way. Next week we go to Cedar Creek. It is not in Iowa but still in Kentucky quite a ways southeast of here. I’ve seen it in a tactical map, but not in relation to all Kentucky. We shoot all the time out there. And wind up our gunnery. Gunnery is our most important course. I have done well in it up to now, but just between you and me I’m a little doubtful as to how well I can do the rest of the way. Conduct of all the fire of a tank and engaging multiple targets and choosing right ammunition types is real complicated and we are getting it terribly fast. Well give it a noble effort, anywho. I can spray te fire out there all right but I hope they don’t watc where it all goes. Speed of fire and coordination of M.G.’s and the cannon are the important things. Your little book on the armored command should be pretty good. As a rule they don’t show the actual models we use – like in the pictures I sent you – but for all practical purposes they are the same.

Yes, Hon, my mail is entirely private – and I’m glad to see I have an up-to-date girl. Hope it proves very effective.

I love you always,
Wallace

No comments: