Wallace's Tent on Salisbury Plain

Wallace's Tent on Salisbury Plain
Writing a letter with candle on clipboard, see Oct. 16 letter

Saturday, February 9, 2008

February 9, 1944 Wednesday

Dear Bunny,

I have my garters on! Feel like an old, old man and am trying to find a heighth where they don’t feel too tight. This is my impression of how I feel [drawing! Image coming soon]

Tonite I found a very delicious chocolate bar at the P.X., called an “Echo.” Funny how I’ve missed it for so long. It is spherical, with a thick chocolate-nut outside and a maple filling. Ever seen one? Was quite enthused by it. Also I did a very worthwhile job of reorganizing my notebook. I filed some notes on courses that are over and got my active sections on top. I have a stack of notes filed in my foot locker already, that is quite impressive. They will be valuable someday, I hope.

We must have talked on the phone a long time on New Year’s Day. The call I made Sunday was only $2.04, but it was a very short talk. It was worth at least twice as much tho. It seems so good to really hear you. Almost as good as seeing you for a short time. Let’s me know you’re real and the same as I picture you.

Time does go fast, doesn’t it, Honey. Here we are in the seventh week now – in the middle portion of the cycle. We aren’t the youngest class any more, and it won’t be long before we’ll start doing “senior class” jobs – Officer of the Day, etc. Means we are continually getting closer to the day when we can be together, and will have another chance to break up the army’s apparent design to keep us apart. That’s what I’m waiting for, Honey, and it’s worth the wait.

I love you always,
Wallace

No comments: