Wallace's Tent on Salisbury Plain

Wallace's Tent on Salisbury Plain
Writing a letter with candle on clipboard, see Oct. 16 letter

Friday, February 8, 2008

February 8, 1944 Tuesday

Dearest Marjorie,

Today I proved that I am willing to give my all to O.C.S. An order came out requiring everyone to wear “sock supporters,” or garters. To most men, this is what an order for bustles would be to women. Well, I bought some tonite. To be sure, I haven’t yet put them on, but no doubt I will soon. Be assured that I will wear them no more than usual, however.

Today we started our work on mortars. We’ve had the 60 mm at Wheeler; now it comes with the big one attached – 81 mm mortar. (The series of humps after 81 means millimeter.) These weapons go up high. Shoots over a hill you see. I like them. Tonite I bought a little notebook for “army officers,” so called. Has a lot of stuff we will need in gunnery and tactics – ranges and frontages, et al. Guess that brings my professional career up to date.

As to my private life, what there is of it is in these letters to you. Thinking of you is all I do that is not strictly military and what the rest of the outfit does. I refuse to share or let go of those thoughts, Bunny. Makes me feel like a civilian to think of you and the things you are doing at Westmoreland. And I do love you more every day.

All yours,
Wallace

No comments: