Wallace's Tent on Salisbury Plain

Wallace's Tent on Salisbury Plain
Writing a letter with candle on clipboard, see Oct. 16 letter

Saturday, February 23, 2008

February 23, 1944 Wednesday

Dearest Marjorie,

This day will live in infamy. It marked the half-way point in our cycle, and was the toughest we’ve had. Five hours of exams and my lesson and obstacle course. Three hours were in performance tests on the tank – actually doing what we’d been taught. Good day to get thru with.

Another big thing happened – Lt. Shalala is being transferred and we will have a new “Tac” officer. Our fourth or fifth, I guess. Most classes have only one. I never was over-fond of Shalala, but we were getting so we understood him and knew what to expect. Now the new officer will have to go thru the old routine of showing how tough he is, and putting us on the spot in turn to size us up. Too bad.

Just today I found that you were going to Boston. Here’s hoping you had a wonderful time. It is our town, pretty much. Did I ever tell you that they have a little – I guess you call it – a doily on the bulletin board at the cleaners from the Circus Room of the Bradford? I get homesick every time I see it.

So old Bob is stepping out again. That’s good. I hope he meets up with somebody that’s right for him. I think the right girl is just what Russ needs to go a long way. I’d give a lot to see big Bob – he’s the kind of a guy you miss. I’ve never met anybody like him, in the army, or out.

You’ve probably seen Mr. Dalzell by now, and I’m not close enough to see what’s best. As a policy, tho, I’d say to plan on getting your degree just as soon as possible. Don’t let it hang fire when you’re almost there. If we are able to be together we can change those plans, and if we aren’t, you’ll still be able to go to school. As for contracts and things, I don’t know how they work enough even to offer a suggestion. In the incessant uncertainty of O.C.S., “sit-tight” is the most likely path to follow. But be ready to move.

I love you always, Bunny. And think of you many, many times a day. Believe that, honey, even if there is no time for me to tell you so these days.

Yours forever,
Wallace

No comments: