Wallace's Tent on Salisbury Plain

Wallace's Tent on Salisbury Plain
Writing a letter with candle on clipboard, see Oct. 16 letter

Friday, February 15, 2008

February 15, 1944 Tuesday

February 15, 1944 Tuesday

Dear Ma,

Marjorie and I are chipping in on something for your birthday, but thought I’d send my Greetings for today in the couple minutes I find hanging loose here.

Hope you go on a whale of a bat and have a memorable day on all accounts.

Today your valentine and maple sugar leaf came. It reminded me of the day I bit into a fellow’s eraser thinking it was a big piece of maple sugar candy. I bit it right in two.

Also thank Carlton for his valentine. I got quite a batch, all considered. The most for several years.

About time to fall out now. So many happy returns. I hope you live your weight in years.

Love,
Wallace


February 15, 1944 Tuesday

Dearest Bunny,

Tonite I am starting a new pad of this stationery. Am not too proud of it but it is the quietest they have at the P.X. Some men get some real dignified armored O.C.S. stationery, but it beats me where they do it.

We got the tag end of the snow storm you told me about. About an inch of slush. But it was warm and sunny today, so it has about gone now, except for occasional patches.

As an example of the G.I. teacher training course we are getting, here’s what happened in a TT exam. They asked us to list the four steps in asking a question. That was one list I hadn’t memorized, so I made up an answer – like ask it, have it answered and evaluate answer. Well, I did pretty well, but found that it was wrong because the book lists ask it, PAUSE, have it answered and evaluate it. Looking at the whole situation – from the question itself to its silly answer, you can see why I dislike TT more than gunnery. Even if I do plan to teach.

Well, glad you got home last week-end, after so many people were worrying about getting the “schoolteacher” home. Good idea to see your mother when you did. And thank her for the letter she wrote. I liked it a lot.

Today is my mother’s birthday. She was born in 1894, so this makes an even ½ century as I figure. How is she these days, anyway? She only writes me about Carlton and home things. Her letters are very characteristic, tho, and would make an interesting book, I think. Reflect all kinds of moods and a basic attitude that is lovely.

Nite now, Bunny. Sleep tight, and remember I love you like everything.

Yours,
Wallace

No comments: