Wallace's Tent on Salisbury Plain

Wallace's Tent on Salisbury Plain
Writing a letter with candle on clipboard, see Oct. 16 letter

Friday, August 10, 2018

January 4, 1945 Thursday

France
[V-mail]

Dear Ma,

Just a line to say that all is in shape over here. Your letters of gentle chastisement for not writing more ofter are coming in. Sometimes I could have written more, maybe, but writing in general has been out of the question much of the time.

I am presently living with the mayor of a small village. Each night we have long friendly talks. I am learning a lot of this DeGaulle government as it works in the minor offices, and he tells me of his trips thru southern France in great detail. I feel as tho I had seen Marseilles now. Then I read him the news and we talk it over. My French is almost natural now – I catch myself thinking in French sometimes. The French are fine people, and think more like Americans – much more so than the English, I feel. They are so hospitable and anxious to help me, even tho we have over-run their towns more than in England.

Love to all,
Wallace

No comments: