Wallace's Tent on Salisbury Plain

Wallace's Tent on Salisbury Plain
Writing a letter with candle on clipboard, see Oct. 16 letter

Wednesday, August 8, 2018

January 3, 1945 Wednesday

Dearest Honey,

Well, this is really quite a long stop. I am actually beginning to feel as tho I was catching up with myself. It was quite a good feeling. Today I shall enclose a few souvenirs I have been planning to send a long time. English, French, Dutch, and German money. The little bill is invasion money, the others old French. Also I guess there will be room for the propaganda that is strewn all over the front. The Germans really use those safe conduct tickets, too. That is, whenever they can get close enough to hand us one.

I have a lot of other coins, but they are in my footlocker, and God knows where that is stored. I shall try to improve my sending of souvenirs. There are plenty here.

Can now say that we were quartered in Tidworth, England near Salisbury. At the little village of St. Mards in Normandie (Ferronds). At Baccarat (near Luneville) (near Nancy). The other day we took showers in Saareburg. That’s as close as I can mention names of places.

Today I took my platoon to inspect an old German defense set-up. We got enough equipment and ammo to fill a museum – helmets of SS troops, guns of all types, gas masks, mess kits – all the German soldier carries, I guess. I found the position on reconnaissance yesterday, and inspected it first of all.

I love you, Honey, and promise to write more soon.

Your husband always,

Wallace. 

No comments: