Wallace's Tent on Salisbury Plain

Wallace's Tent on Salisbury Plain
Writing a letter with candle on clipboard, see Oct. 16 letter

Friday, May 9, 2008

May 9, 1944 Tuesday

Ha, Ha, Hello,

You didn’t think I’d write today, did you? I find that being in charge of a unit offers a little spare time during the day. My platoon is on a “field engineering problem” today. That is, they are policing an old bivouac area for “C” ration cans. Nothing on schedule for Recon today, so –

Of course, I can’t work myself at this, so I organize the endeavor and follow along in my peep to see that all goes well. Now I am writing you from “Quibble,” my peep, clip board on steering wheel is my desk.

At night I am busy, tho. Officers meetings, reports, maintenance, security. Never get to sleep very long at a time before my runner wakes me up and says somebody wants to see me. Last night the Nazis captured almost all the big shots in the company. Company commander, Executive officer, 1st sergeant, almost all the C.P. – the recon platoon was well protected, all we lost was our runner who was at the C.P. – they’re all up in the pokey now for eight hours! Tonite we’ll hear what the Company Commander, 1st Lt. Bruderlind has to say. No doubt it will be plenty, and we’ll all be on guard all night from now on. He’s a good man, tho, reminds me of Al Greenwood.

What’s the latest on Bob and the service? Is he going to be here for our anticipated nuptials? Rather good line, anticipated nuptials. Is it nooptials or nup-shalls? Anyway, I like it. Never did get to try on the wedding ring we finally got for me, did I? It’s a theoretical fit, and I don’t think I’ve grown any.

Looks like it will be just the opposite from what we anticipated on mail. I don’t see how any mail will get thru to me, but I have it fixed with a guy to mail mine. The trainees get mail from the Post, but I have no address there. None comes from B.T. yet. I sit here and think of the things you must be doing – hope it leaves you some time to sleep.

See you soon – isn’t that a good way to end a letter, when it’s so?

Love,
Wallace

No comments: