Wallace's Tent on Salisbury Plain

Wallace's Tent on Salisbury Plain
Writing a letter with candle on clipboard, see Oct. 16 letter

Thursday, May 1, 2008

May 1, 1944 Monday

Hello Honey,

Well, I was Queen of the May today and knocked the 5th battalion dead with my lectures on ammunition and position for tanks. Brought the house down with my punch line – “For a tanker, position is everything in life.” Went over all twenty times I gave it. Got a little tired of it myself, tho.

Tonite Tom and I went to Post and finally got a valopak and some other very important items – a mirror (haven’t seen myself well for a week now) and a clipboard to help me look official. Tomorrow I will be an anti-tank gun at point four.

Today I got $51 in pay for just the last ten days. Spent $16.01 for the valopak. Called about reservations on the Jeffersonian from here to N.Y.C. on May 20. Will know about them in a couple of days. Most of the N.H. men are going home that way, so I guess it will be best.

Got back here by 10 p.m. and jotting this down before I go to bed. Wore my pinks with all the nice little notes in them tonite. I leave them there and take them out when my morale is low. I love you very, very much.

All yours,
Wallace

No comments: