Wallace's Tent on Salisbury Plain

Wallace's Tent on Salisbury Plain
Writing a letter with candle on clipboard, see Oct. 16 letter

Wednesday, May 14, 2008

May 14, 1944 Sunday

Dear folks,

‘Ere long I’ll be up in your country, and will see you just as much as I can and still accomplish my mission, namely, matrimony. I have things all planned and should have a couple or three days at home.

This bivouac is a big improvement over our Georgia adventure. Have been out here over a week and it hasn’t rained yet – ideal weather. Being an officer is an interesting experience – lot of advantages, many headaches. Main thing is you aren’t under the regimentation you are as an enlisted man – I keep unauthorized material in my tent, use a mattress cover as a sleeping bag, let an “apple polisher” clean my mess kit and such. My recon platoon offers a lot of work for a prospective psychologist.

Will see you soon and find out
1. How Pa likes his job
2. How tough old Russ is (and his future)
3. What Ma thinks about the war
4. How smart Carl is

Be prepared on all these subjects, and also be able to orient me on my own wedding. You probably know more about it than I do.

Love,
Wallace

P.S. Gosh, look how military I’m getting – the list, the order – oh my!



[No date]

Hello Hon –

Am going on Battalion in about 2 hours, but got to write about something in this. Here is the sealed report of my blood test, only Dr. Holmes can open it. I don’t hardly think that he will complete the thing without me, but you might act as tho you expected him to and get away with it. The people at the Hospital looked up all the NH laws and decided this was all we could do here.

Also here is a ticket on Stir-Up to win the Derby – he let me down. Very pretty horse, tho.

I know how much work you will be doing, Hon, and will be thinking of you every minute. Please try not to worry about anything at all – we’ll fix anything. I love you more that I thought I could.

All yours,
Wallace

No comments: