Wallace's Tent on Salisbury Plain

Wallace's Tent on Salisbury Plain
Writing a letter with candle on clipboard, see Oct. 16 letter

Thursday, May 8, 2008

May 8, 1944 Saturday

Hello, Hon,

Here I am, writing from the relatively civilized movie barracks. My recon platoon is seeing a picture on scouting I have seen many times.

How are you? Everything in order, I hope. I’m much more interested in what you’re doing than what I’m doing.

Had a busy day yesterday. As soon as I arrived at the area they put me in charge of the maintenance platoon and the Recon platoon. My recon platoon is in sad shape – only 12 men with 2 peeps and a half track. The maintenance platoon has three half tracks and about 20 men. These last kept me busy yesterday. Then I became Officer of the Day (O.D.) and spent most of last night inspecting the guards and all. Today I have only to march the men to class and keep a guard on our vehicles. Got some sleep, but the ground was clean but cold.

Well, I saw the Kentucky Derby as you know. Just like the pictures. Then I called you from a restaurant in Louisville. Tom and I got a table next to the phone and ordered dinner while it came thru. Only took a little while.

Gee, I love you, Honey, and in only two weeks we’ll be together. Seems like a long time because the bivouac looks so big. I’ll learn a lot about being a lieutenant. My thunderbolts look to me for everything. There are so many little details that come up – like relieving guards. Suppose I should forget where I left a certain guard – he might stay in one place unrelieved for years! I won’t forget, tho. I love you just as much as ever – even more out here in the woods.

Always yours,
Wallace

No comments: