Wallace's Tent on Salisbury Plain

Wallace's Tent on Salisbury Plain
Writing a letter with candle on clipboard, see Oct. 16 letter

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

May 31, 1944 Wednesday

Dearest Honey,

Somehow it seems funny to be writing to you again. I still feel as tho you were close enough to talk to. And I hope you will be soon, because I do miss you very much. It helps a lot to know we’re married, but still can’t feel quite right with you away.

Well, I’ve been running around all day signing things. Tonite at 10:30 the train leaves for Texas. Our class is being split among Camp Cook, Calif., Camp Chaffee, Arkansas, Camp Polk, Louisiana, and Camp Barkeley, Texas. Except maybe for Chaffee, I’ve drawn the best one. Tom is going there, too, and also Bill Sayre – who got married when we did. He brought his wife back with him, and now they are going to Barkeley together. I have talked with him, ad we will hunt for quarters together. He suggested that together we might rent a small house and split it between us. Might do it if the house divided easily into two parts. They are nice people, but not quite the kind that would be our best friends, I think. A little too flowery and keep-up-with-the-Jones-y. Like music, tho.

Barkeley isn’t as well located as Knox for cultural advantages, but I hear it is less crowded and that Abilene is a pretty city. I’ll get busy as soon as I get there and we’ll have the best place in town! We can learn from Sayre’s experience and spare you breaking into a new place. It may not be any longer than we had planned, so go on as scheduled with your work – but keep flexible. We’re doing all right, when, a change of a thousand miles doesn’t have any serious influence on our plans! I love you, honey. Always more and more. Everything seems so good when I look at my ring. “There’s half of you, Russ,” I say to myself.

This afternoon I took a nap and caught up on sleep. When I woke up I laid still and caught up on my thoughts. Have to stop every now and then and digest the new things that have happened. No denying I have never felt so satisfied over anything as our marriage. Still purr when I think about it. Tom says I’m smug about it – but I think he’s jealous!

I got a lifetime of things to remember from our honeymoon – did you? Wish we could have had another week to spend in places like the Library court yard. We still have some things to talk over, and those are the places that bring them to mind. Just got a few things I have always said to myself that I must say to you. Very definite things that may explain why I want to do the things we are planning later on.

If you’ll excuse me now, I’ll get some more rest before setting out for Texas. I love you so much that you’re never out of my thoughts all the way. I’ll write very soon.

All my love,
Wallace

Oh, Mrs. Russell – a letter to the 12th Armored Div., Camp Barkeley, Texas, would reach me sooner or later.

No comments: