Wallace's Tent on Salisbury Plain

Wallace's Tent on Salisbury Plain
Writing a letter with candle on clipboard, see Oct. 16 letter

Friday, May 16, 2008

May 15, 1944 Monday

Hello my honey,

Will you marry me say 196 hrs. from now? If you can’t make that, maybe 198 ½? That’s practically right now, isn’t it – compared to the times we have waiting. This time I feel very confident that everything will work our O.K., in fact I feel very smug about it – don’t give a damn about anybody.

This is a wonderful bivouac, or maybe I’ve got spring fever. It hasn’t rained at all and everything is smooth. My platoon is now strictly in the groove on morale and discipline. Have just 2 men that continually pity themselves and they are on sick call today. I hope they stay there; they are my only problems. Just old men that cannot adjust to the army. I suppose they feel sick, but there is nothing physically wrong with them.

All the time I think about our wedding plans, but actually know very little about them. Wonder if my imagination is right. Close enough, I guess. Gee, I feel good and love you most to death!

Ken E. is out here with a training battalion now, acting as executive officer. Just had a long talk with him. His marriage went over fine and he is very happy. Here’s an idea he gave me. I don’t know what Dr. Holmes has done about my blood test or needed physical, but it is just possible that this official looking document from my 201 file will impress him into signing. Ken says it has worked. If it does it might smooth the way some when I get home. You might have the license and things.

This morning I have sent my men out on two details for the engineering dept. So I have nothing to do but sit here in my peep with Ken E. He’s reading a mystery story. You see, married men never write their wives. I hear you say something to the effect that I am sadly mistaken if I believe that. Well, I don’t believe it for us, anyway.

Yesterday I was in charge of the whole company almost all day. The C.O. left in the early afternoon, putting me on as O.D. – I stayed on up until midnite last night. Made very few weighty decisions, tho.

One of my minor worries is about getting my uniform out of the cleaners. I sent a lot of stuff and must arrange to get it before I leave on Saturday. Can handle it, tho, one way or another. We get off Friday night. Khaki’s are in order here, but not in the New England area. So I can wear about what I want, I imagine. Somewhere along my way home I’ll let you know when I will arrive. Expect it will be Sunday evening, early. Just next Sunday!

Today we are on the first leg of a 36-hour problem without sleep. I am not too worried, tho, I have been going without sleep so much out here. I make it up by getting easy spells during the day. Like this. Tonite we have a dismounted march, a mounted march and a platoon problem. Then tomorrow’s work before going on as O.D., until midnite on Tuesday. Whee! May not get a chance to write you again before I see you.

Have I any last minute messages? Love you like everything and am just bursting to get on my way. It’s a great life – we’ll ne so nice together. We’ll show them what marriage should be like.

Yours with all my love,
Wallace

1 comment:

Girl on the Front Porch said...

This is a swell collection of letters!