Wallace's Tent on Salisbury Plain

Wallace's Tent on Salisbury Plain
Writing a letter with candle on clipboard, see Oct. 16 letter

Wednesday, May 14, 2008

May 13, 1944 Saturday

Morning Honey,

The weather is still dry and so far this has been a very easy bivouac. Not much sleep nights, but enjoyable work. Every night I arrange for our bivouac security, lead all the tanks into position and send out patrols. My platoon has had three battles with the Nazis, not counting bivouac raids. We have some thru with one man only going to the pokey – he went with the C.O. Some of my old men’s bones are creaking but they work as hard as they can.

I got two of your letters last night and am perfectly satisfied with the way things are working out. Just a week now and I’ll be on my way. I can hardly believe it yet, seems too good to be real. But I’ll be there, sure ‘nough.

It’s unbecoming of an officer to ask for money, but if you get this in time can you send me $15 to back me up on the way home? I have spent wildly since I got my commission, just seemed to slip away. It won’t go so easy from now on, Hon, so don’t give me up yet.

Won’t it be nice just to relax together without any secrecy? I believe I’ll take you up on going to sleep the first thing. I got about 45 minutes last night, but am amazed at how good I feel. Everything is rosy, hon, I keep saying to myself – “You never had it so good.”

All my love,
Wallace

No comments: