Wallace's Tent on Salisbury Plain

Wallace's Tent on Salisbury Plain
Writing a letter with candle on clipboard, see Oct. 16 letter

Wednesday, August 23, 2023

March 31, 1945 Saturday

Dearest Marjorie,

You will have to forgive me if I’m not my usual sparkling self today. I was operated on as per schedule this a.m. They use a local anesthetic but augmented it with about the strongest sleeping pill you ever saw. Consequently I have had to pull my eyelids open ever since I got back, and I can still feel the effects of the drug.

The operation was a success, and my leg is sore as a son of a gun right now. I expected that, tho, and it will last until there is more than the stitches holding the thing together. The doctor said I was very inconsiderate to pick those particular spots to get hit. It was hard to work on it – being on the backside of the knee. I had to be on my stomach part of the time and on my right side some.

Tomorrow is Easter, so yesterday and today I have been checking over the Easter story in the little testament they gave me when I left O.C.S. It is a beautiful story and gives you a lot to think about. Of course, as a psychologist, you have to give the whole thing a figurative interpretation. Nevertheless, the substance of Christianity is very sound and lifting. It goes much deeper than the physical activities described. I imagine someday I’ll become some sort of modern Christian. At least, emotionally. It is a mystery religion and therefore very nebulous. But it is based actually in truth and love and sincerity, and goes to surprising depths. It goes too deep and is too involved in allegory for me to accept completely. But it does have very basic realities when interpreted thoughtfully.

I imagine you have something new for Easter. What is it? A complete outfit like that robin’s egg blue one you got one year, or one of those high, turban-like hats I saw all over Paris? Spring is really your time of year, Hon. It gives you a chance to wear all those bright, neat, and shapely outfits you design and look so well in. Spring and you go very well together, if you will pardon my poetic thought. It is the time of year that goes best with your character and appearance. Clean, new, promising, cheerful. Wish I could spend it with you. Well, anyway, Bunny, we have a nice future to think of – may it come soon.

I can see that I am making handsful of mistakes today. Please blame it onto the sleeping pill. I write a few lines, then fall back and snooze for a time. Then I wake up and write a little more. The body is very reluctant to write, tho the mind is anxious to. I like to write down just what I think as it comes. Sometimes before emotional blocks or some such have made it hard for me to write haphazardly, but I haven’t noticed that since I have been in the hospital this time. I feel as tho my mind had been freed from something that had been holding it back. Perhaps it was the little shock of the Herrlisheim deal. That was horrible in a very big sense, and I can see how it would cut off normal thoughts for a time. It was a rough thing to accept. Now it is a little further away, bright spring weather is here and I have had time to think it all thru. Consequently I feel in a very spring-like mood now. As tho things were starting over. Things look fine, and tho maybe I feel more incentive to work for other people, I am still interested in my own future. 

Music does a lot to make a mood, and no doubt the well-chosen songs I hear over the radio have helped to make me feel good. Anyway, I certainly have an extremely refreshing and gratifying case of spring fever. I love you completely and happily and my Easter wish is that you feel the same way about me. 


Every bit of my love,

Wallace.




No comments: