Wallace's Tent on Salisbury Plain

Wallace's Tent on Salisbury Plain
Writing a letter with candle on clipboard, see Oct. 16 letter

Friday, August 11, 2023

March 26, 1945 Monday

[V-Mail]


My dearest Marjorie,


One sunny spring morn on the banks of the romantic Rhine a teutonic “88” tried to occupy the same space as Lt. Russell with negligible success. Yes, Gerry has knicked me again. This time in the left leg just above the knee. I don’t believe it is as bad even as last time, but here I am in another General Hospital for a rest and an oak leaf cluster to add to my Purple Heart. Instead of a jagged shrapnel wound, this one consists simply of two small holes, one entrance, one exit. No bones involved, no complications, nothing to worry about. I prowl around on a pair of crutches, but can do without them if necessary. I am going to write lots of letters just as soon as I can. I love you more than ever, and am thinking of you always. I am in fine shape, Hon.


Always all yours,

Wallace.

No comments: