Wallace's Tent on Salisbury Plain

Wallace's Tent on Salisbury Plain
Writing a letter with candle on clipboard, see Oct. 16 letter

Sunday, August 27, 2023

April 2, 1945 Monday

France – Hosp.

Dear folks,

This letter should prove beyond the shadow of a doubt that my heart is in the right place as far as writing to you is concerned – and perhaps it will make up for the occasions when I was apparently neglecting you. 

I am still enjoying a completely useless life as a bed patient. All my meals are brought to me on a tray and a nurse rubs my back every other day. Many other luxuries are tendered me, too – those are just examples.

Soon, no doubt, I will start moving around more, since now the stitches are in. As soon as they are removed, a little exercize will be in order. 

The British are changing their time today. They were already on daylight saving and now they are going even further – they just won’t know what to do with all their daylight. That has caused a little confusion in our routine today, but I think we’ll make out all right.

The walking officers in this hospital are waging a feud with the assigned officers here. It seems that Patient Officers have been barred from going to the movies nights and also from going to the Officers’ Club here. That very naturally burned them up, so they have been putting notices on the bulletin board, advertizing “parties” to be held “For Patient Officers Only.” They put on a big campaign for a “party” held last night. The announcements sounded very exciting. They described in glowing words the attractions – fruit juice, music, news comments by William Joyce (Lord Haw Haw), etc. Of course, it was our regular evening’s activities, but several nurses tried to crash the gates of our “exclusive” party.

What do you think of the news? It certainly sounds good, but I have grown to be a skeptic on such things. Ever since I left the States I have been censoring mail in which the end of the war was expected in a few days. It always takes longer than optimistic Americans expect.

Hope you folks all had a lively and pleasant Easter. Did Carlton get enough Easter eggs? I remember I never used to. ----

With Love,


Wallace.

No comments: