Wallace's Tent on Salisbury Plain

Wallace's Tent on Salisbury Plain
Writing a letter with candle on clipboard, see Oct. 16 letter

Friday, October 10, 2008

Undated [on board the Empress of Australia, sailed from NYC to Liverpool, September 20, Wednesday-October 2, Monday, 1944]

[V-Mail #1]

Dearest Marjorie,

I have written several letters to you since we have been at sea. They will be mailed when we land, as this will be. This should get to you quicker, tho, so here it is to let you know I am safe and healthy and young and handsome and rugged and very much in love with my wife. If I weren’t all those things when I left, lay it to the ocean air.

Put it down on our list of “things to be done by us,” to cross the ocean and spend some evenings on a moonlit deck. The sea is very big and beautiful at night.

Maybe, too, this trip will make our trips in the U.S. seem pale. It has been most interesting so far, but I do miss you and love you very much and all the time. So long, my honey.

All my love,
Wallace

No comments: