Wallace's Tent on Salisbury Plain

Wallace's Tent on Salisbury Plain
Writing a letter with candle on clipboard, see Oct. 16 letter

Wednesday, October 29, 2008

October 12, 1944 Thursday

Somewhere in England

Dear folks,

Once more the situation is well in hand. I have been in a state of flux for sometime, but now I seem settled, at least for a while.

I am in England, no doubt of that, and am getting in a lot of experience in English ways. I have had “tea” in some of the best cafes around and came out hungry but educated. I have an English made pipe that has a cherry bowl. My moustache is thicker and better than ever. Color; indeterminate. Black some days, and white others.

I spend most of my time with the company, but pass policy is liberal and I am seeing quite a bit of this part of England. I am due for a pass to London in a week or so. I can mention towns, etc. that are 25 miles away or more, by name. The area right around here has a lot to offer, tho, and I wish I could tell about it. One town is especially good, historically. It has a wonderful cathedral that dates from 1215, and is absolutely breathtaking in its beauty. As an old history major, it is of great interest to me. There is another place I can’t name that I plan to visit. It is known for its extremely old ruins and monoliths. I know it well from my “ancient civilizations” courses t U.N.H., and am looking forward a lot to seeing it. I’ll tell you about it if I do get there.

It does make me feel good to get my degree. I’m going to plan on getting a master’s, if possible, before I start teaching. That’s if the war lasts long enough for my finances to reach the right state. This “G.I. Bill of Rights” may finance some of it for me, too.

My mail is coming thru now. Got a letter dated Sept. 26 today, that’s 16 days. Expect they’ll come faster now.

Everything is rationed in England. I mean everything. There is very little you can buy in the towns, because the ration cards we soldiers get are for P.X.’s only. We get a ration for 1 cake of soap per week, I package of gum, 4 candy bars, and so on. It is plenty for me, but seems funny.

Give my love to Bob and all.

Your loving son,
Wallace

No comments: