Wallace's Tent on Salisbury Plain

Wallace's Tent on Salisbury Plain
Writing a letter with candle on clipboard, see Oct. 16 letter

Thursday, October 9, 2008

September 18, 1944 Monday

Somewhere on the East Coast

Dearest Marjorie,

I received your big day-by-day letter from Abilene and read every word. Was glad to hear what happened after I left, but am anxiously waiting news of your trip home.

Being apart and not knowing just where you are is pretty “rough.” I have been taking myself very seriously as supply officer. It’s quite important and I feel responsible for each man. That job usually takes from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m.—then Fairbairn, Bukovenac, Olewine, Young, and myself get together and censor mail until it’s over, usually around 1 a.m. Seeing that the men’s mail gets thru keeps me from getting to write you usually. We Lts. can do a lot to help out the men and you feel like a heel if you don’t do all you can.

To get away from business, I got in to see Laura Friday night. I found the place all right, and Justin stayed home from work. Had a swell evening of talk, and some Chinese food. Laura’s babies are the best in the world. Greg is fat and snuggly and cheerful. Most lovable baby you ever saw. I had loads of fun with him. Merellyn is a picture of Laura, and Greg, of Justin! As usual, they were very hospitable and Justin funny. Nice couple.

Gee, Hon, you better be in Keene by now! If so, I hope you get started right away on courses at K.T.C. You’ll want to keep constructively busy, I know. Bet your Mother was glad to see you! Has the place changed much? I don’t imagine it has. No matter what happens in Keene, it always seems like home when you get there.

I lost my pen somewhere this last week, so I’ll have to get another if I can. Or maybe it will turn up again; my things do peculiar tricks, you know.

When I last left you at Abilene, I strongly suspected that I wouldn’t see you again, but was not certain. No use saying goodbyes, anyway, they are so futile. I hope that is the way you wanted it. I thought it would be easier. I tried to get things pretty well lined up with you, but I have feared that maybe I left too many things for you to do. I will feel so much better when I know you are O.K. Our unit left Berkeley that Wednesday night. I was Div. Officer of the Guard on Tuesday. That tied me up so that I couldn’t get in. Of course, I could not telephone and tell you what was going on.

I have told of our train trip, and that I have been very occupied since I got here. I have been appointed ass’t. defense council for a courts-martial. Have had several cases already. I have lost them all (!) but don’t let that change your estimate of me as a lawyer. I’m good! But the court is determined to get convictions in spite of what goes on at the trial.

Please do not let the fact that I cannot write often make you too sad, Hon. I hope to write better later on, but anyway, I love you and think of you just as often as ever. Everything we have ever planned is just as real as it was when we were together. We have plans and memories to lean on and believe in. You are my wonderful wife always. I’m awfully glad of that and never forget it. Bye now.

Every bit of my love,
Wallace

No comments: