Wallace's Tent on Salisbury Plain

Wallace's Tent on Salisbury Plain
Writing a letter with candle on clipboard, see Oct. 16 letter

Wednesday, October 29, 2008

October 11, 1944 Wednesday

Dearest Marjorie,

Today has been a typical day for me, so as to give you an idea how I spend my time, I might as well tell you how it went.

I woke up warm and snug in my blankets and had the usual struggle between will and desire before I could get up and straggle to breakfast and to the company tents by 8 a.m. The E.M. tents are about a quarter mile away. I was only a little late today. First I went to the supply tent to see how our latest requisitions were going. Found that good little Sgt. Fee was in a dither over some stuff that had been turned in, but was still serviceable. So we went together down to battalion supply to see if it could be exchanged. We found that it couldn’t and came back to re-issue it to the men.

Then I went to the orderly room and censored mail for a couple of hours. That made it nearly 11:30, so I came down to dinner. At one, Lt. Fairbairn and I got a big bag of English money and set about paying off the men. He counted out the pounds and I, the shillings and pence. That took nearly all the afternoon, because we had to get some info on soldier-voting from each man. At 4:30 we had an officers’ call down at Battalion Hq. We took notes on current business and coming events. That was over at 5:30. Then supper, then to the men’s mess hall to check their mess kits for cleanliness. Then here to build a fire (all by myself) and write to you. Depending on my energy, I may shave, shower, and pick up dirty clothes before going to bed. I am the only one in the tent now, but Buk will be in soon, and Oley later on. Tent life is very comfortable. You are in fresh air all the time. Consequently, I have an enormous appetite, and sleep very, extra comfortably in my nice tight drawn blankets.

Christmas has been on my mind some today. In view of my own laziness, I am going to ask you to look after most of our gifts. To my family, your mother, and I guess that’s all. I could say that things were hard to buy here and harder to send. They are, but if I didn’t have you I could probably manage it. I will pick up some little stuff I can, but I wish you’d look after the real gifts. Oh, and let’s not forget Laura and Justin and their little children.

As for me, if you can send anything, make it stationary, soap, and shaving cream. Those things are hard to get here. Also a scarf (warm, O.D.) and a hood—one of those knit things that go over your head and tuck into the top of a sweater or something. Covers head and neck with just a little face opening. I expect a ha-a-a-rd winter, so anything warm would go. And little practical things.

Our P.X. opened today, also our barber shop. The battalion is making quite a home for itself. We have ration cards for everything we buy at the P.X. Soon we expect to have our battalion movie operating. We get the daily “Stars and Stripes” newspaper. It is a small 4-page job, but it has the news and comes regularly. I hadn’t seen a newspaper for a long time, until that began to come. Has “Little Abner” in it, too! Division special service is arranging for special trains to London, too; so if I get a pass for any length, I’ll be off to the big town. There are also some extremely famous historical places near here that I want to see very much. If they are over 25 miles away, I can tell you all about them; if not, I can only describe them generally. This is quite an education, all round.

Well, I must write to the folks sometime soon. I do appreciate Ma’s inimitable style – just as natural as if she were talking! She seems real worried about Bob and Lorna. “We’re not old fogies, she’s just not the one,” she says. I refuse to form any opinion. I respect old Bob’s judgment implicitly, and figure he knows what he’s after.

This sure is an interesting old world! I have been getting some tremendous thrills out of it lately, and can’t think of a single aspect of it that isn’t just as fascinating as it can be. People, places, things I do, folks back home, history, psychology, art, you. It’s all very wonderful. I wouldn’t miss it for anything!

The fire is going out and there’s no more fuel, so I better go to bed now. Nite, honey. I wish you were with me so we could share all the things that are going on. But knowing you love me and thinking how I love you make me feel very satisfied. I sleep very soundly and have no doubts that we will always be together and share everything. It’s so good to know, isn’t it? Bye for now,

All yours,
Wallace

No comments: