Wallace's Tent on Salisbury Plain

Wallace's Tent on Salisbury Plain
Writing a letter with candle on clipboard, see Oct. 16 letter

Thursday, October 9, 2008

Undated [before September 20, 1944]

Dearest Marjorie,

Well, I have my new pen now. It cost me all of 70 cents at the PX, but writes pretty well. Probably would be a dollar or so in civilian life. Anywho, it’s the best I could buy.

Things are going much easier now. I am getting enough sleep and not being too rushed during the day. Don’t expect leisure time now, but appreciate working at a more normal pace. Got thru censoring at 10 o’clock last night.

Got a letter from you yesterday saying when you got home. I am very, very relieved to know you made it without the loss of an arm or leg or anything. Also your disposal of Muzzie was the best way to do it. He will have a home, and that is good to know.

I am not starting this letter on the wrong side to be cute, but because I started it during an officer’s meeting and wanted to appear to be taking notes!

The reason for continuing in this strange place is to demonstrate the army way of writing on reverse sides. You see, no time is lost turning the paper over—just invert this end and continue reading.

I am hoping to get another letter from you today giving more details on your trip. Wel, got to run now already. I love you.

All yours,
Wallace

P.S. I wrote this before we left, but didn’t get to mail it. Here it is, a little out of date. Had to cut out the date after we left.

No comments: