Wallace's Tent on Salisbury Plain

Wallace's Tent on Salisbury Plain
Writing a letter with candle on clipboard, see Oct. 16 letter

Friday, October 3, 2008

September 12, 1944 Tuesday

Somewhere along the East Coast

Dearest Honey,

I thought I would never get a chance to write you. We bump into censorship now, you see. As an officer, I censor my own mail and it is subject to spot checks only by a base censor. That means that much of it will be censored only by me, but I have to be strict with myself! We were not allowed to write during the trip here. On arrival I found myself suddenly appointed supply officer, and I guess you know what that means at this time. Remember, Olewine had it back at camp and worked 24 hours a day. I have it now and work twice as long each day! However, my big troubles will be over in a few days and after that there won’t be much to keep me busy nights. I’ll write regularly then.

Well, let’s see, what can I say? Haven’t done much yet that is discussable. Had a luxurious pullman on the way up – about ½ full of officers – rest empty. Breakfast in bed, actually, all the time we were on the train. Passed thru Louisville and Buffalo, but did not get off anywhere.

I am worrying myself a lot over you and will not be happy until I hear that you are home and safe. I know you will write as soon as you can. I feel pretty helpless, but am hoping that the baggage and your transportation came thru as we planned.

I love you even more than I thought, Hon. Please do not feel alone because I am talking to you all the time, and thinking of you. I will get to write a real letter very soon now. (Being so busy here has really made me a part of C Company, tho, so it’s good that way.)

Of course, I am feeling excellent and am as safe as ever in the arms of Uncle Sam. So don’t worry at all about me – just look well after yourself, please.

Every bit of my love,
Wallace

No comments: