Wallace's Tent on Salisbury Plain

Wallace's Tent on Salisbury Plain
Writing a letter with candle on clipboard, see Oct. 16 letter

Friday, April 4, 2008

April 5, 1944 Wednesday

Dearest Bunny,

Another big day today. Have been table waiter the last three days and tonite we had a review on top of it. With platoon flags and flashy drum corps, all O.C.S. classes took part. We have another tomorrow, too. However, I got over to the P.X. and accomplished my main mission concerning you and Easter. Was going to get some more uniform but wasn’t able to.

Your intuition wasn’t as completely hay-wire as you might think. I came very close to calling you last Sunday. We were slower getting going than I had thought we’d be, and the time never came. Hope I didn’t disappoint you too much, Hon.

Would like to discuss at length our plans for the immediate future. It looks very promising. But actually I know very little more about it than I did when I first got here. I may graduate if I can hit a tactics exam or two, I will probably go to battle training for from 3 weeks to 5 weeks. And then I should get a leave of 10 days. If I go to a station other than Ft. Knox it will be plus travel time. If it is at Ft. Knox, 10 days only.

Now what can we do with that? What is your schedule? When is your vacation exactly? When does school let out, and KTC or Plymouth TC begin? The main thing is to make it so we can be together the whole of the leave. When I get to battle training we can start wheels going again on licenses, announcements, blood tests, et al. We’ll be old hands at that. Then we can get married as early as possible in the leave, go somewhere and be very, very much together just as long as we can. If we can do that, that’s all I want.

It would be very nice if you could come down for our graduation, but that’s not practical, so we won’t consider it unless things turn out to be very auspicious. I have a yearning to be impractical, anyway. However, that would dig rather deep into our nest egg—is that what you call it?—for the short time we could be together. I would like you to see Louisville sometime; I have dreamed of you so much there. Maybe at the start of my leave we could meet there. That will depend on the situation, so we’ll just be ready to make snap decisions as things turn up and take advantage of all opportunities. We want to get married and be together as long as possible over the leave, so we will decide at the time how best to do this.

I enclose an invitation or two to the graduation. Like our wedding announcements, we know that this may or may not be valid. If it isn’t we can start a good collection of false evidence. Looks nice, tho, doesn’t it?

I love you so much, Honey, and hope we can always share our lives together. Nice that way, isn’t it?

Bye for now, every bit of my love,
Wallace

No comments: